This smoked chicken (or fish) is easy to cook at home. The chicken can be shredded to make a great Asian style chicken salad.
2 large or 3 small skinless boneless chicken breasts*, rubbed with:
– 1 tablespoon sugar
– 1 teaspoon salt
1/4 Cup Tarry Lapsang Souchong tea (you could experiment with other types, any black tea should work, the stronger the better)
1/4 Cup jasmine rice
1/4 Cup brown sugar
- Line a wok or heavy large flat saucepan (not non-stick) with tin foil. Let the excess drape out; you will need it later.
- Combine the tea, rice, and sugar. Spread out mixture evenly in the centre of the tin foil. Place a rack over the tea mixture.
- Heat pan or wok over high heat.
- When the mix begins to smoke, place chicken on rack. Cover with lid and fold the foil** you have sticking out of the pan up over the lid to seal – you want to keep the smoke in.
- Smoke for 15 minutes.
* Chicken can be replaced with fish if preferred.
** If you wrap the lid in foil too, there will be no clean up to this recipe, other than throwing out the foil!